Franc x Odessa puppies - July 11th

Franc x Odessa puppies - July 11th
Franc x Odessa puppies - July 11th

Friday, August 6, 2010

Puppy Evaluations and Jello

What does Jello have to do with Puppy Evaluations? Well...today I learned it is easier to nail Jello to a tree than try and stack puppies that are 26 days old. But we tried and we got what we got. They had no idea what I wanted them to do even though I've tried to stack them before today. I will get more experience with the stacking of young puppies as this adventure continues.


Here is what I had to work with. This is NOT a good puppy stack!

Today I had friends who are very knowledgeable about the dalmatian breed come to visit to do the first "in-person" puppy evaulation. The puppies got to meet new people and have a few new experiences. So far, we all agree on which pup we feel is best. Only time will tell if we all pick the same one in the weeks to come. We looked at structure, temperament, spotting, eyes (to check color) and evaluated hearing. All puppies appear to hear and none appear to have blue eyes. Overall I think today was a HUGE success!!!

Puppy evaluations will continue up until they go to their new homes, and in a few cases may continue beyond that until they mature.

The puppies also got a visit from doggie photographer extraordinaire Anna. They have not seen Anna in a while, and I think she was surprised at how much they have grown since her last visit. Today Buttons showed Anna just how precious puppy kisses are. (She's hooked!)


Anna has been taking dog pictures for me for years. She doesn't show or breed and in fact has never even been to a dog show, but can tell me exactly what I need to do to "fix the stack" and can critique movement pretty well! She was also a HUGE help during the whelping and multiple trips to the vet that Sunday.


Piddle Piddle Everywhere! and other interesting tidbits that I never thought about....

  • Puppies will pee where they need to, and that includes where you are walking, where you are sitting, where you are about to sit, and anywhere else they so desire. (I'll spare you the details.) And puppy pee has a way of hiding until you've stepped in it.
  • Puppies shed. I have no idea why I didn't know this, but they shed.
  • Puppies will get out of the whelping box - it is a sign of development. But what about getting back IN the whelping box? (Oreo did get herself back in yesterday. I wasn't there to witness it, but I know Odessa didn't help because she was nursing the other three pups.)
  • As the weeks progess, this endeavor gets messier and messier. (See bullet #1 regarding puppy pee.)
  • The little puppy barks and puppy cries are not annoying when they are YOUR puppies. If they are anyone else's puppies, it's annoying.
  • Puppy play is fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. More fascinating than puppies sleeping. (And that is pretty fascinating.)
  • Teeth are staring to come in. One thing I do not like about puppies are those sharp little teeth. They hurt! I first noticed teeth on Tuesday.

    Personalities are really starting to show with these four. I'm taking notes and with an upcoming blog entry I'll post details about each puppy. I will say that temperaments are absolutely wonderful! All are confident playful puppies. No shy ones in this batch.

    So now I'll share some fun pictures. I hope you enjoy them!

    This is Buttons laying in my lap. He is very content in this position, and he can make me laugh everytime he is in this position. He is a very content little puppy.


    Hungry anyone? I think I'll get me an Oreo. HA!



    I'm hungry, but I want a Peanut. (I crack myself up sometimes!)


    High Five!

    I want another Peanut!

    Girl time - snuggling with momma.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment